Thursday, September 4, 2008

Carrots

I hadn't made carrots for like 3 weeks, and I had tons of carrots in my fridge - since they come weekly from the garden, and I was thinking, what am I going to do with all of these carrots? And then I found a recipe for carrot soup, and I was so disappointed by the recipe. So I will not post the recipe because, while it was not terrible, it was not delicious, and these carrots deserved better. However, I used some of the carrots to make another side dish of carrots that was SOOO delicious. Here is the recipe.

Jennifer's Gingered Carrots

1 lb carrots, sliced thickly on the diagonal
1 whole garlic clove
2 T butter
1/2 C water
ground ginger
ground nutmeg
pinch of sugar

In a large skillet, heat the butter over low heat. Add the garlic clove, sliced carrots and water, and put in some ginger (1/2 to 1 tsp). Cover & simmer til carrots are tender, adding more water if necessary to prevent burning. Uncover and if there is any water remaining raise heat to high to boil off remainder of water. Sprinkle 1/4 t nutmeg and a pinch of sugar (or maple syrup or honey) over the carrots, stir & serve.

If only the soup had tasted as good as this! Oh well. Sometimes you make a great recipe, sometimes a mediocre one, and sometimes a failure. But the more you practice, the more you learn, and the more delicious recipes you will discover & come up with on your own!

I invite anyone reading this blog to make a submission of their own favorite whole-food style recipes.

No comments: