Monday, September 8, 2008

Eggplants in Moussaka!

I really like eggplants, and I was trying to think of a new recipe I could use them in. And then I thought, Moussaka! Then I had to find a recipe. I found one on Recipe Zaar and made a few alterations in order to add in some of the other garden items in my fridge/pantry, and it was really delicious. Bob had one piece to start, and then he had seconds of two more pieces! This recipe is a bit more labor intensive than most that I post, but every so often I spend a little more time in the kitchen for something extra delicious.

Greek Moussaka
Serve with a Greek Salad
adapted from Recipe #88804 on Recipe Zaar

Casserole:
olive oil
3 eggplants (more if using the skinny asian variety), sliced 1/4 inch thick (I leave the skins on)
4-5 medium potatoes sliced 1/4 inch thick (I leave the skins on)
1 lb ground beef (or for vegetarian version use more eggplant, potatoes, & or zucchini)
1 medium onion , chopped
1-2 leeks, sliced thinly
fresh or dried oregano (1 t dried)
1 t salt, divided (or to taste)
1/2 t fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
1/2 t cinnamon
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded & crushed
3 T tomato paste
1/4 C water

Sauce:
3 T butter
2 T flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 C half & half
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C or more Parmesan cheese

1. Brush cookie sheet with olive oil, coat each side of eggplant & potato slices with olive oil, then season with salt & pepper. Place the slices on the cookie sheet; broil under the broiler (or grill) until brown, then turn & broil the other side, brush with more oil if needed; repeat until all slices are browned.
2. In a 9x13 inch baking pan, arrange 1/2 the eggplant slices, and all of the potato slices.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown the beef, add onions & leeks & cook until softened. Drain any accumulated fat. Add in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, oregano, cinnamon, 1/2 t salt, and pepper to taste. Pour over eggplant slices.
4. Arrange remaining eggplant slices over the beef mixture.
5. Prepare the cheese sauce: melt butter in a saucepan till bubbling, whisk in flour, 1/2 t salt, pepper to taste; gradually stir in the half & half, cook & stir over medium heat until thick & bubbly.
6. In a small bowl, beat egg & whisk in a small amount of the hot sauce, then add the egg mixture to the sauce & whisk, add Parmesan cheese, mix well until melted in. Pour the sauce on top of the casserole.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, until cheese sauce is golden brown in places, cut into squares & serve.

Note on making vegetarian; in place of the beef I would cube some eggplants & or zucchini, and saute in olive oil with the onions until softened (adding a little water if necessary), then continue as directed above. I would also recommend doubling the potato layer - even if you aren't going vegetarian I would double the potato layer!! I love potatoes.

Great for a Sunday dinner.

No comments: