Saturday, June 28, 2008

Salsa Verde!

When I picked up my share on Friday I was amazed by the amount of basil I was receiving!! What a bundle! I decided to make some salsa verde, and all I had to pick up at the store was a chile pepper & a lime (I had garlic at home already, and I probably could have used the garlic scapes as well)

Salsa Verde with Basil, Cilantro & mint
Local flavors, by Deborah Madison

1 jalapeƱo chile
1 large bunch cilantro, stems removed
½ C basil leaves
¼ C mint leaves
2 small garlic cloves
½ C olive oil
Grated zest & juice of 1 lime
Sea salt

1. Chop the first 5 ingredients very finely, then stir in ¼ c water, oil and lime zest & juice.
2. Taste for salt & adjust balance of lime juice to oil, if needed

Alternatively, pulse the chile, herbs & garlic in a food processor, then gradually add water, oil & lime juice to taste.

For my taste I think I would have preferred more lime & less oil, and I think I will adjust it the next time I make it. It was delicious on corn tortilla chips, and I used it to dress a Mexican style salad - very tasty!

No comments: