Saturday, June 21, 2008

Summer is HERE!!

As a new blogger, this is a whole new experience! My goal is to provide & share recipes, primarily for food that I receive from the local CSA garden at La Vista. I hope to be a helpful resource for other members of the garden that are also looking for things to make with the new food they are receiving each week.

Yesterday was share pick up day for me. I decided to use the chinese cabbage, peas, and broccoli to make a peanut-sauce based stir fry with tofu. For seasoning I used the garlic scapes, some green onions, cilantro, and a little fresh mint from my fridge. I loved it!! Bob will give it 3.5 stars out of five because he prefers chicken to tofu! Here is how I put it together:

Jenn's Garden Day stir fry
(recipe adapted from everyday food magazine, issue 22)

~ 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided (or peanut oil)
1/3 cup tamari (or soy sauce) , divided
1/4 cup rice vinegar (a must for asian cooking!!)
1/4 cup water (although I may leave this out next time...)
2 Tbsp peanut butter, creamy - or chunky if it is your preference
1 container extra firm tofu, drained on towels & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
~ 2 garlic scapes, thinly sliced
~ 4 scallions, thinly sliced and separated (white from green)
1 head chinese cabbage, sliced into 1 inch strips
4 oz broccoli, stems peeled & chopped
1/2 Qt sugar snap peas, strings removed
red pepper flakes to taste
cilantro to taste, finely chopped
2-3 leaves mint, finely chopped

1. Make sure your tofu is drained. I try to dry mine a bit by slicing it up & pressing lightly with flour sack towels to remove the excess moisture. (this makes it ready to soak in a little flavor!) Drizzle tofu with some tamari or soy sauce until it tastes seasoned enough for you. I like reduced sodium tamari usually, but I prefer the full sodium tamari to season tofu, as tofu has no flavor until you add it. Now, to a large stir-frying style pan, add about 2 Tbsp olive oil and turn pan to coat the bottom evenly. Add your tofu & listen to it sizzle! Cook & stir only intermediately to allow the tofu to brown on all sides (or most sides anyway...) When tofu is done, remove from pan and reserve somewhere warm for later.

2. While the tofu is browning, make your sauce. Add 1/4 C hot water to the peanut butter in a small mixing bowl. whisk together until smooth, then add 1/4 C tamari & 1/4 rice vinegar. Set aside. (see note below)

3. Add another 2 Tbsp olive oil to pan if it looks dry, 1 Tbsp if you think it looks wet. Toss in the garlic scapes & scallions, stir fry for a bit to let them start flavoring the oil (maybe 1-2 minutes). Then add broccoli, peas, and cabbage, and cover. Check after 2 minutes, stir the veggies around to allow the stuff on top to get to the bottom, etc, cover again. After about 2 more minutes, your veggies should be done (crisp-tender, do not overcook). Remove from heat.

4. Add browned tofu & green parts of scallions to pan with veggies, and then add sauce & red pepper flakes, stir to mix well. Sprinkle on the cilantro & mint if using.

Serve with rice. I used brown jasmine rice, but any kind will work. My sister highly recommends adding rice vinegar to the rice before cooking. It does taste pretty good - I guess I put in about a tablespoonful when I make 2 "cups" of rice with my rice cooker.

You can substitute any meat you prefer for the tofu if you like - chicken or pork would probably make good choices. You can also substitute the vegetables for what you have on hand. Carrots, bell peppers, bean sprouts, mushrooms - the options are limitless. If you do not have mint, you may want to try fresh ginger instead.

I say I may leave the water out next time because I prefer a thicker sauce than this made. You can melt the peanut butter in the microwave to make it easy to mix, or put the sauce ingredients in a food processor & pulse to mix.

Enjoy!!

No comments: