Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sloppy Joes

This is my grandma's recipe for Sloppy Joe's, and it is awesome. I like to use organic ketchup in it for better taste.

1 lb ground beef (look for grass finished beef)
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 T white vinegar
2 T mustard
3/4 C ketchup

Brown the meat, drain fat (if any - the grass fed beef I get is very lean). Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and simmer on low for an hour, stir occasionally.

Really keep the heat low, this is low on liquid, so it will scorch easily if it is too hot.

Serve with whole wheat bread and peas - or however you like your Joe!

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

Amanda Hall said...

Can't wait to try this. I'm thinking it would be just as good with my left over roast:)

Amanda Hall said...

Hey, you will have to use your new Mix n Chop for this! It will be perfect! Hehe!

Anonymous said...

Recipe looks great! Just reading your "Welcome" on the right and thought you might like the book "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. I read it in October and LOVED it!

Jenn said...

Yes, Michael Pollan is what got me started last year on my attempt to eat more whole foods. It was a very inspiring read!

Jenn said...

oh my gosh! This is a duplicate recipe - I posted it in July already!! Ooooopsie :-)