Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sloppy Joes & Braised Cabbage

Today I went to the Jerseyville farmers market, and was pleasantly surprised to find blueberries, black raspberries, rhubarb and even summer apples! I can hardly wait for the weekend to get here so I can bake a pie or some other delicious dessert. There was even someone there selling grass-fed texas longhorn ground beef. Their farm is located in Kemper IL. Here is their website if you would like to contact them about ordering beef. I was told they plan to butcher in September, and are taking orders now.

http://www.ssbackwardslonghorns.com/

So I got home a little later than normal, with this delicious ground beef, and fresh onions. And I thought, sloppy joes & cabbage - that's easy, even if it isn't really quick. And so here is my grandmother's sloppy joe recipe, followed by a recipe for braised cabbage. It was simply delicious - even though I burnt the cabbage a little bit! Ooops :) Next time I will try not to get so wrapped up in a book while I am cooking...

Grandma Shirley's Sloppy Joes
(these are infinitely better than manwich, and VERY EASY!!)

1 lb ground beef
2 T white vinegar
1 large chopped onion
1 green pepper chopped (I didn't have this so I put in green onions & garlic scapes instead)
2 T yellow mustard
3/4 C ketchup (I use heinz organic)

Brown the meat. Add onion & pepper & brown a bit longer, then add remainder of ingredients. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Serve with whole wheat bread or rolls.

Braised Cabbage (Red or Green)
from Chez Panisse Vegetables, by Alice Waters

1 red or green cabbage
1 medium onion
3 T duck fat ( I used leftover bacon grease, only 1 T because my cabbage was small)
1 T wine vinegar
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper
1/2 C water
1 apple

1. Remove the outermost leaves from the cabbage. Cut it in half, remove the core, and slice the cabbage very thin. Peel the onion & slice very thin.
2. In a large pan, heat the fat, add the onion, and cook for 5 minutes. Put in the cabbage, vinegar, bay leaf, salt & pepper, and water. Cover & simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Grate the apple, add to the cabbage, and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste & correct the seasonings, and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments: