Monday, November 10, 2008

Cheesy Rice & Broccoli Rabe

Steph was visiting, and I needed to throw together something warming, vegetarian & gluten free for lunch, this is what I came up with. Rave reviews from all that were here :)

Cheesy Rice & Broccoli Rabe
Cooked brown rice
1 onion, chopped
1 bunch broccoli rabe
2 bunches tops from radishes or turnips, or any kind of green you've got!
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour (I used brown rice flour since Steph was here)
1 C milk
1 C shredded cheddar cheese

1. Saute the chopped onion in some olive oil (or additional butter if you prefer). When starting to brown, mix in with the rice that is cooking.
2. Prepare the greens by washing, removing any tough parts of stems, and then chopping stems & leaves into 1/4 inch pieces/strips. Drop into boiling water & let cook until bright green & tender, about 5 minutes or so. Drain & set aside.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan, mix in the flour to form a roux. stir with a gravy whisk over medium heat for about 2 minutes - should be bubbly & evenly mixed, not sticking to pan.
4. Add milk all at once while whisking. Once mixed together evenly, add the cheese & let it melt in.
5. Once the cheese is melted, add the cooked greens, and then add a few cups of cooked rice (I used about 2 1/2 - 3 cups I guess). Salt & pepper to taste.

I served this with cooked spinach on the side, which I could have also mixed in, but hey. It looked pretty. To cook spinach, simply wash the greens, slice them up & throw them in pre-warmed pan with ~2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Saute until wilted.

1 comment:

Amanda Hall said...

I'm gonna try this since I've got your broccoli Rabe. Seems easy enough and it's something Caleb can eat and Mike will eat! I'll let you know how it goes.